Wednesday, April 18, 2012

the World Wide Web and me.

As I have been getting back into internet life through the new avenue of blogs, but also online shopping, and youtube subscriptions and a more involved use of facebook my thinker is thinking more thinks. And where that has brought me is this, I am more of a paper and pen girl. I really enjoy Xanga, and reading blogs, but privacy and internet legislation, and the actual temperance of people who share themselves this way is pretty scary. ACTA, PIPA, SOPA, CISPA, DIY wreaths, fake blog names, real names, only first names, only last names, some locations, some hidden locations, linked fb, linked pinterest, twitter, separate email accounts, as much as I do use facebook I do not share very much with facebook. I frequently edit my friends list to keep relevant with who I am sharing. I am at a point in my life where I have a lot of friends, but not very active friendships. I just got married, live in a new town, and not in my parents house; I recently have changed location, churches, and military branches, and that is okay with me. I thought maybe this would bring back an active group of friends, and in a way it has. I am a huge fan of quite a few bloggers, but as for me sharing back, I am not ready for that. I am creative and there will maybe be an audience for that part of me someday, but it is not today. Today I am a barely savvy internet user who is kind of scared of what is happening, legally, with the internet, and also of making privacy decisions if I was to become a more publicized blogger. So this experiment is closed, until further notice.

P.S. Another part of backing off of publicity is that our identity has been compromised a few times lately, through his debit card, and my phone, and that has also made me a little wary. Talk to your banks, talk to your phone companies about privacy, what gates are up, and what you should do about privacy on your smartphone, if you have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment